Believe it or not, I just found these beautiful old bricks hanging out in the backyard, hidden in some bushes! I was pretty much ecstatic when I found them! I thought “Oh my gosh… Oh the great things that I can do with these bricks!”
First thing first… I had to actually crawl into the bushes (four rows thick of mixed, mature, cedar and spruce trees), throw the bricks onto the lawn, and then finally fill up my wheel barrel, load by load, to salvage these beautiful bricks. It was a lot of work, but seriously – Look at how gorgeous they are!
The very first project that I decided to make with my bricks was a make-shift patio, between where our deck ends and the barbecue area. This area was all filled with sharp, pointy gravel, and well, it just really hurt my bare feet!
After I finished the patio, we came across a LARGE number of actual patio bricks, abundant enough to do the area by the barbecue, the area between the house and garage and wrap around behind the garage, as well. With these new all-matching bricks, my gorgeous, old, upcycled bricks became available once again…
This time, I decided that I would make a raised planter box and put it near the pool, where the hose is already hooked up… My logic being that maybe I’ll water everything a little more and not kill it??!
To start out, I laid my bricks in a rectangular shape. I then just started layering them on top, so that each row was offset by half a brick from the previous row.
The one end wall ended up being doubled, in order to make the pattern turn out evenly. At first I wasn’t too crazy about the asymmetry, but it actually turned into a pretty cool shelf!
After I had my bricks stacked to the perfect, random height, I started wheel-barreling some soil from our backyard into my planter. (I chose the soil from our backyard rather than potting soil not only because it is free, but because here in this area is supposed to be some of the nicest and richest soil in Ontario!)
I must say that my planter was looking pretty darn cute, by now! However, I still needed to stabilize and secure it. This may sound scary and a little tricky, but really, I used the easiest and simplest method possible!
All I did was buy these stakes from the dollar store.
Next I pounded them through the holes in my bricks, and straight into the ground.
I then took hedge clippers and clipped off the excess part of all of the stakes…
Added a pretty trellis, and that’s pretty much it! Big style, for very little time, money and effort!